The other day I was driving home and noticed that there are already Christmas lights up on a few homes in my neighborhood. I thought to myself that Thanksgiving is not even here yet and I can already see signs of Christmas everywhere. I love Thanksgiving! There is something about the holidays that stir up so many good memories. I can remember the smell of our wood burning fireplace and almost feel the crispness of the fall air as the leaves dropped from the large pecan trees in our front yard. I can picture my grandkids having so much fun running through the big piles of leaves. I can almost smell the pot of chili or soup simmering on the stove in the kitchen. I remember staying up late and making cinnamon rolls and apple pies so they would be fresh and warm when the kids arrived home for Thanksgiving. I remember the turkey cooking in the oven, the yummy pumpkin pies and then sitting down with my family to a "feast". After Thanksgiving dinner we would all get together and clear up the dishes so we could visit and play with the grandkids. Sometimes a football game was on the tv and all the men were stretched out on the floor either watching the game or snoozing. The girls would be laughing and talking about some craft or project we had planned to do for Christmas. Seems like that was the best time to make a batch of fudge too. I have so much to be thankful for and appreciate all that I have. However, I have to admit that I am very excited for Christmas and can't wait until my tree is up. More memories come flooding back as I take my handmade ornaments out of the box and place them on the tree. I will never forget the people that gave them to me. I love this season of the year. I love the excitement, the beautiful lights, the color, the music, and the love that so freely is given by family and friends. I have to admit that I even enjoy the hustle and bustle of shopping as I try to find that "perfect" gift. I am so glad that there is a "Reason for the Season". I am thankful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the opportunity I have to celebrate His birth. I am so thankful for memories. Family is the best! Memories of Christmases past are sometimes the best Christmas presents!
1 comment:
I love this season too. It helps me remember all the things I should be remembering all throughout the year.
(Cute Blog =)
Post a Comment